Friday, June 13, 2008

Roadtrip Report


It's nearly 2 a.m., I have to wake up in just over four hours, and I probably had too much wine at dinner, but I have computer access for the last time for awhile, and as you know, I've been neglecting my blog.

I am wrapping up my five-day road trip of Romania with my dad. We've been to Bucharest and its Athenaeum, the port city of Constanta, the sleepy and admittedly filthy city of Tulcea, the quiet waters of the Danube Delta, the ferry barge across the Danube to Braila, the rural landscapes, Pelis and Pelisor palaces in Sinaia, the fortress at Rasnov, and some of my favorite restaurants in Brasov. It's been hilarious to see my dad's reactions to Romaniaalternating between surprise and even disgust, then amazement and appreciation. Today it became a "fairytale" and he even started pronouncing words (more) correctly. And he likes tuica.

Here are some photos from our adventures:

The Black Sea and Old Constanta from the mosque.


Constanta's port. Trying to become bigger than Rotterdam.
Fixing a flat tirean obligatory part of any road trip.

Sunset on the Danube Delta, in Tulcea.
Tulcea fishermen
On the ferry across the Danube

My dad's photo of the exciting tennis courts in Brasov, where Ion Tiriac got his start.

Birthday dinner in Brasov (at nearly midnight).

No comments: