Saturday, May 3, 2008

Ciprian's Bucovina: The Painted Monasteries

Moldavita Monastery
The northeastern region of Romania is known as Moldavia, not to be confused with the Republic of Moldova (across the river from Moldavia). In Moldavia, I went to southern Bucovina (northern Bucovina is just across the other border in Ukraine). The big attraction here is the Painted Monasteries. The churches at these monasteries have painted exteriors in addition to the painted exteriors seen in most Orthodox churches. Most of them were painted in the 1500s.

Since it's probably the only time in my life that I'll make it to these monasteries, I sprung for the private guided tour. This was entertaining only because the guide was ridiculous. Before leaving Brasov, I read about him in the LP and googled him...with questionable results. I decided to skip on that. But the hostel-arranged tour turned out to be with him. We had a big van, with lots of empty seats, so we picked up hitchhikers. For lunch, I suggested a place that someone had recommended, but he "never tries places [he hasn't] been to." I also tried to take a picture of the monastery painting he was telling us about, but he cut me off and said one of his few rules is that people wait until he's finished talking to take photos. I think he made these rules up as he went.

Later he the day, he asked me to marry him, and told me to say no. I switched seats with Chad so I sat by the window instead of next to the guide.

Moldavita Monastery south wall

Beyond Moldavita Monastery

Humor Monastery

Humor Monastery south wall

Inside Humor Monastery

Sucevita Monastery surroundings

Sucevita Monastery

Sucevita Monastery - Jacob's Ladder

Last Judgment fresco at Voronet Monastery




Voronet Monastery East wall


Voronet Monastery



No comments: