Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Anecdotal Evidence

Today, I saw one of my students twice. I saw her after class at the xerox place. And I saw her before our club meeting at the bus station. I knew she couldn't come to class, and I knew she couldn't come to the meeting. Her reasons? I asked:

Me: "Can you come this afternoon?"

She: "No. My parents are gone for three weeks so I am at home alone. I have to take care of the dog and everything."

Me: "Where did they go?"

She: "To the countryside."

Me: "Oh, and they didn't take you?" (Remembering that the topic of her recent essay was her childhood trips to the countryside)

She: "No, well, I have school."

If/when I have kids someday, I'll be sure to take the dog with me when I leave my kids at home for school days, so that they can actually go to school. Or, teach them how to lie more logically.

No comments: